Time to talk politics
It's caucus time — the beginning of the process of choosing legislative positions at both the state and federal level.
Citizens from political parties will gather to discuss candidates who are running for state and federal offices for the 2018 elections.
They'll also vote for the candidate they want their party to support for governor. The results of the preference ballot help gauge support for candidates.
They'll also select delegates and write resolutions about issues they would like their political party to support or oppose on its platform.
No other educational activities, classes or other public meetings can take place on the evening. It is reserved for grassroots democracy at the precinct level.
Douglas County DFL
The Douglas County Democratic Party will hold its caucus at Discovery Middle School, 510 McKay Ave. North in Alexandria. Registration opens at 6 p.m. Contact Jon Koll, Chair, Douglas County DFL for information: firstname.lastname@example.org or 320-309-4067. Information is also on Facebook — Douglas County DFL.
Douglas County GOP
The Douglas County Republican caucus will take place at Alexandria Area High School, 4300 Pioneer Road SE, Alexandria. Proceedings will start at 7 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center auditorium. Attendees are encouraged to arrive as early as 6:30 p.m. For more information, contact Nelson at 320-762-8770 or visit the website, www.douglascountyminnesotarepublicans.com.
Todd County DFL
Caucus registration will start at 6:30 p.m. and the meeting will be called to order at 7 p.m. There will be seven meeting locations for the Democratic Party's caucuses in Todd County this year:
• Bertha-Hewitt High School Cafeteria, 310 Central Ave. S — cities of Bertha and Hewitt; townships of Bartlett, Bertha, Germania and Stowe Prairie.
• Eagle Bend Hilltop Kitchen meeting room, 405 Main St. W (new site) — cities of Eagle Bend and Clarissa; townships of Burleene, Eagle Valley and Wykeham.
• Browerville High School Elementary Library, 620 Park Ave. N — city of Browerville; townships of Hartford, Iona, Little Elk, Turtle Creek and Ward.
• Long Prairie-Grey Eagle Middle School (old high school by courthouse — Door E-2, handicap Door E-1) — city of Long Prairie; townships of Bruce, Long Prairie and Reynolds.
• Staples-Motley High School Cafeteria, 401 Centennial Lane — city of Staples; townships of Fawn Lake, Moran, Staples and Villard.
• Osakis High School New Cafeteria, 500 First Ave. E — cities of Osakis (Todd County) and West Union; townships of Gordon, Kandota, Leslie, Little Sauk and West Union.
• Grey Eagle Housing Assn., 303 Cedar St. N — cities of Burtrum and Grey Eagle; townships of Birchdale, Burnhamville, Grey Eagle and Round Prairie.
Todd County GOP
The Todd County GOP Caucus will begin at 7 p.m. Here's a list of the seven Republican Party caucus sites:
• Browerville High School Library — Bartlett Township, Bertha City, Bertha Township, Germania Township, Hewitt City and Stowe Prairie Township.
• Browerville High School Library — Browerville City, Hartford Township, Little Elk Township, Turtle Creek Township and Ward Township.
• Eagle Bend City Hall — Burleene Township, Clarissa City, Eagle Bend City, Eagle Valley Township, Iona Township and Wykeham Township.
• Grey Eagle Senior Citizen Center — Birchdale Township, Burnhamville Township, Burtrum City, Grey Eagle City, Grey Eagle Township and Swanville City.
• Long Prairie-Grey Eagle Senior High School Commons — Bruce Township, Little Sauk Township, Long Prairie City, Long Prairie Township, Reynolds Township and Round Prairie Township.
• Osakis Elementary School Media Center — Gordon Township, Kandota Township, Leslie Township, Osakis City, West Union City and West Union Township.
• Staples-Motley High School Media Center — Fawn Lake Township, Moran Township, Staples City, Staples Township and Villard Township.